Speak with
a visa specialist:

0207 659 9180
Country of residence:

Working Holiday Visa Subclass 417 (1st year)



The Australian Working Holiday visa (WHV) is one of Australia’s most popular visas. It allows young people from eligible countries between the ages of 18 to 30 (inclusive) to go to Australia to experience its culture, see its fantastic sights and do some work to support your stay. The visa lasts for up to 12 months but it can be extended for another year by doing regional work. Our partners at Visafirst are registered migration agents and can arrange a WHV for you.



There are just a few conditions that you need to meet with if you plan to head Down Under on this Australian work visa:

  • Be aged between 18 and 30 inclusive;
  • Cannot travel with dependent children;
  • Be of good health and of good character;
  • Have sufficient funds to cover your initial stay in Australia (AUD 5,000) and be able to buy a return or onward ticket;
  • Have not entered Australia on a working holiday visa or a work & holiday visa previously;
  • You must apply for this visa when you are outside of Australia at the time of application and at the time of visa grant;
  • Hold a passport from an eligible country (see list below)

Countries eligible to apply for a Working Holiday Visa to Australia are:

Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malta, Norway, Republic of Cyprus, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, The Netherlands.

Requirements & Entitlements

  • You have 12 months to activate your visa from the date that the visa is granted. You activate your visa once you land by passing through Australian Immigration.
  • Once activated, you can remain in Australia for up to 12 months on your Australian Working Holiday visa.
  • You may work with the same employer in Australia for up to 6 months on your working holiday visa.
  • The visa allows you multiple entry to travel in and out of Australia as often as you wish during your 12 months.
  • You are permitted to study in Australia for a period of up to 4 months on a working holiday visa.
  • You can stay longer in Australia if you apply for a second working holiday visa or another visa (including sponsorship, student, residency visas) if you meet the requirements and apply in time.


The Working Holiday visa is ideal if you are looking to experience the Australian culture and relaxed way of life, while having the opportunity to do some work to help fund your trip along the way. You can even secure the option to obtain a second working holiday visa by doing specified work in certain parts of Australia. You can read more about this in our second working holiday visa section.

You get the opportunity to meet with and impress employers who could potentially sponsor you for a sponsorship visa or even permanent residency. This will enable you (and your dependents) to live and work in Australia permanently if you are eligible. More information can be found in our other visas section.

Other Visa Options

More information can be found about other visa options to remain longer in Australia in our other visas section.